Tuesday, August 2, 2011

rules amendments

Since the rules are unclear or give options or are not fully PBEM-enabled in a few places, I will amend them in a few places for the purposes of this playing. I'll publish those changes here and on the blog. As questions come up that require clarification, I will answer them offline if they are asked offline, but I will also publish the answers here so everyone has the same basic information.

Sequence of Play


Since we are playing this by email/blog, I will ask each player to submit raid/recon orders to me privately. I'll resolve those, send them the results, and let everyone know where the action took place. After that, each side can send movement orders, and I will resolve those and any attrition. If there are army encounters, I will let the players know, with the option for evasion. If a battle results, we can either use the quick resolution method or hold it until our next club game night for a full battle.

If commander in chief players (CINCs) recruit extra players, the CINC can allocate to their subordinates whatever role they would like. If they make a subordinate their head of scouts, that player will send me their side's raid/recon orders and I will send the results to them directly (not to the CINC). If a subordinate player is assigned command of an army, I will take movement/evasion/battle orders from that player only; the CINC cannot override them and will not be informed directly of the results unless the CINC accompanies that army in person.

If players are given detached commands in this way, I would request that CINCs NOT communicate directly with their subordinates; emails (orders, queries, etc.) should go through me so that I can inflict friction (delays, lost messages) on the players. Obviously, this is on the honour system, since I can't see what emails the players may exchange, but it would make thigns more fun and realistic for everyone.

17.0 Raids and Recon
....

If he had chosen to recon that army, then a successful die roll allows him to see that army’s roster. The snooping player may look at it, but not take notes or write anything down! [Obviously I am modifying this, since this is PBEM--a successful die roll will produce an almost accurate OB for the force in question.]
....

Special Scenario Rule: Depots
....
Alternatively, a player may use the depot to prevent any attrition rolls for one army in a campaign turn, if his army’s move that turn started, ended, or passed through the friendly-owned depot. This provision cannot be used to immunize an army from the effect of raids; even if an army exhausts a depot for that turn to avoid other attrition rolls, a successful raid will always cause an attrition roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment